Dates: 4-day course: 30th June-3rd July 2017 10-5pm daily (break for lunch or bring a picnic)
3-day course: 18-20th August 2017
Price: 4-day course €360 per person (bring a friend for €330), 3-day course €270pp (bring a friend for €250)
A well rounded introduction to all the making and decorative techniques in day to day use, including:
Throwing and turning on the potter's wheel, Handle making, Slab building, Coiling, pinching and maquette making
Working with coloured clay
Paper resist, wax resist, sgraffito
slip painting, under-glaze decoration, glazing
Smoke firing, raku firing
kiln operation, studio practice
The only difference between the 3-day and four-day courses is the time spent on each project. Typically you will make 5-6 pieces on the three-day course and 8-10 pieces on the four-day course.
Have you thought about making your own Raku kiln? If you're a potter with access to an electric kiln for biscuit firing and would like to build a raku kiln, test it and take it home in the boot of your car, we are happy to have you along for two days of this 4-day course - the Saturday to make your kiln and the Sunday to test it. Materials cost approximately €220 and we will order these for you (given about 2-3 weeks notice). The two-day participation will cost you €180. Call Adrian on 0879696901 to discuss.
- Clays and Glazes – safety, storage, practicalities
- Hand-building techniques – coiling, pinch pebbles, slab work
- How to teach throwing
- Coloured Clay projects suitable for the classroom
- Kiln firing cycles, controllers, loading the kiln
- Raku and smoke firing
And we’ll aim to answer everyone’s questions:
- What clay work is most appropriate to the classroom, and with what age groups?
- How to minimise preparation and post-class work
- What are the right materials to buy and where?
- How to avoid explosions in the kiln!